My wife absolutely loves lavender. It is one of her favorite flavors and smells and happens to grow great in our garden. I would have to agree with her that there is something great about the color, flavor and aroma of these flowers. Last week I set out to create lavender everything for her. From lattes, to chocolate, to ice cream to drinks; the secret? Simple syrup. Speaking of simple, there is no easier way to get flower or herb flavors ready for food than with simple syrup. Try this with your lavender in your garden, basil, or any other edible garden flavor to create something unique for yourself and those around you.
Lavender Simple Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup lavender flowers
1. Find and clip some lavender flowers from the garden
2. Take and slide the flowers off the stem into a bowl
3. Place the sugar, lavender in a saucepan and add the water
4. Heat on medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved and let simmer for 5-10 mins
5. Remove from heat and place lid on pan. Let sit for 30 mins.
6. Pour the mixture through a fine mesh strainer and store in fridge until needed.